3. F/O Charles Mackenzie Stevens, RNZAF NZ4210535 – Pilot. confirmed – John Stackhouse
4. P/O Benjamin Charles Barton, RAFVR 56702 – Flight Engineer. Kilpatrick crew (needs confirmation – Simon Sommerville)
5. F/Lt. Martin Adam Kilpatrick, DFC RNZAF NZ421919 – Pilot. (needs confirmation – Simon Sommerville)
7. F/Lt. Russell Ashley Banks, RNZAF NZ416437 – Pilot. (needs confirmation – Simon Sommerville)
10. A/Sqn Ldr. ‘B’ Flight, John Robert ‘Jack’ Rogers DFC DFM, RNZAF NZ413956 – Pilot. confirmed – Simon Sommerville
11. P/O Owen Joseph ‘Cookie’ Cook, RAAF AUS.428456 – Pilot. confirmed – Owen Cook
17. F/Lt. Robert Douglas ‘Jock’ Sommerville DFC, RAFVR 1562617/161049 – Air Bomber. Zinzan crew. confirmed – Simon Sommerville
18. P/O Vernon John ‘Taffy’ Zinzan, RNZAF NZ425314 – Pilot. confirmed – Simon Sommerville
20. P/O James George Sydney Coote, RAFVR 517881/ 56715 – Navigator. Zinzan crew. confirmed – Simon Sommerville
24. Sgt. Harold Noel ‘Tim’ Hutchinson, RAFVR 1598143 – Mid Upper Gunner. Zinzan crew. confirmed – Simon Sommerville
32. Sgt. Cyril Murfin RAFVR – Mid Upper Gunner. Shearer crew. confirmed – Amanda Baxter
33. Sgt Jack Fearon RAFVR – Rear Gunner. Shearer crew. tentative confirmation – Amanda Baxter
36. F/Sgt Jack Mitcherson, RAAF AUS.432532 – Wireless Operator. Cook crew. confirmed – Owen Cook
40. F/O Maurice Wiggins RAFVR 1219661/164286 – Navigator. Banks crew .(needs confirmation – Simon Sommerville)
42. F/Lt. Alexander Reid ‘Pat’ Hirst, RNZAF NZ41588 – Wireless Operator. Banks crew. (needs confirmation – Simon Sommerville)
47. Sgt. Les Hofert, RAFVR – Flight Engineer. Stevens crew. confirmed – John Stackhouse
50. Sgt. Ronald Brown, RAFVR 996517- Flight Engineer. Rodgers crew. (needs confirmation – John Stackhouse)
51. F/O William ‘Bill Tubby’ Evenden RAFVR 1337365/ 196039 – Pilot. confirmed Roly Williams// Andrew Nodwell
52. F/S Albert Neville Staples, RNZAF NZ427338 – Navigator. Evenden crew. confirmed Roly Williams// Andrew Nodwell
53. F/S Tom Lane, RAFVR – Air Bomber. Evenden crew. confirmed Roly Spencer/ Andrew Nodwell
54. F/O James Harold Saunders, RAFVR 1392219/196874 – Air Bomber. Stevens crew. confirmed – John Stackhouse
55. F/S William ‘Bill’ Goddin, RAFVR – Wireless Operator. Evenden crew. confirmed Roly Williams// Andrew Nodwell
58. Sgt. H. Morgan, RAFVR – Flight Engineer. Evenden crew. confirmed Roly Williams// Andrew Nodwell
59. F/S Roland ‘Roly’ Spencer Williams, RNZAF NZ4215269 – Rear Gunner. Evenden crew. confirmed Roly Williams// Andrew Nodwell
61. F/S Norman Alec Peter Dixon, RNZAF NZ4215733 – Mid Upper Gunner. Evenden crew. confirmed Roly Williams/ Andrew Nodwell
83. Sgt. Norman ‘Paddy’ Allen, RAFVR – Mid Upper Gunner. Banks crew. confirmed – Simon Sommerville
84. F/O James ‘Jimmy’ Earnest Wood, RAFVR 1801019/154906 – Air Bomber. Banks crew confirmed – Simon Sommerville
85. Sgt. H. ‘Jock’ Fraser, RAFVR – Flight Engineer. Banks crew. confirmed – Simon Sommerville
87. F/Sgt Mervyn Price, RAFVR – Flight Engineer. Ohlson crew. confirmed – Steve Price
94. Sgt. Herbert ‘Bert’ Steele, RAFVR – Rear Gunner. Zinzan crew. confirmed Derek Steele
98. Sgt. A. Ackroyd, RAFVR – Flight Engineer. Zinzan crew. confirmed – Simon Sommerville
99. W/O Miles ‘Joe’ Parr, RAFVR – Wireless Operator. Zinzan crew. confirmed – Simon Sommerville
54 Flying Officer James Harold Saunders, RAFVR. Air Bomber (trained as Obs/Nav). Crew regulars: Charles Stevens RNZAF, George Giles RAFVR A/G, Les Hofert RAFVR F/E, Les Hall RAFVR Nav.
3 I believe is F/O Charles Stevens RNZAF
47 I believe is Les Hofert RAFVR, F/E
50 I believe is Sgt Ron Brown, F/E. His Captain was Bob Rogers RNZAF ‘B’ Flight Commander. This needs confirmation.
Many thanks for this information – it’s very much appreciated and I will add the names to the list now.
Thrilled to discover this blog. My father was Jim Saunders, who sadly died in 1990. I have a group photo from that time which I guess would have been the regulars of the Charlie Stevens crew. Certainly Les Hofert is in it, but cannot identify the other two of the group. Can e-mail the photo to you and also one of just my father in uniform from that time.
There is also someone else looking for Charlie Steven’s crew. Link below
Look for the post “LOOKING FOR LANCASTER BOMBER CREW MEMBERS”
It would be interesting to know the exact date that this picture was taken as I am pretty sure my dad is not there. He and the rest of Bill Mallon’s crew arrived on the 6th March and were posted to RAF Feltwell for a week from the 10th – 17th March for Gee-H training/practice.
I wonder if we will ever know – the absence of your father and the rest of his crew could be a clue. As daft as it sounds, I could never understand why my father is wearing an overcoat – the only one I think, I always think he looks a bit pale in this picture and as daft as it sounds, he was absent from the Auguste Viktoria (Marl-Hüls) – Benzol Oil Plant raid on the 17th March – though he flew on the 14th to Heinrich Hutte and the 19th to Hamm. I can’t help but think that Vernon looks a bit pissed, sitting next to him……….
Or I might just be talking absolute nonsense……..
Hi no.32 is my dad Sgt Cyril Murfin RAF MU/Gunner (his pilot was Donald Shearer). No 33 could well be Sgt Jack Fearon RAF R/gunner from pictures we have of dad during this time.
Many thanks for the information – I have added it to the picture list! Any other information you on Cyril or his crew would be very gratefully recieved.
thanks again for adding to the Squadron history
all the best
My farther Sgt. Herbert Steele RAFVR was rear gunner with the “Zinzan crew” about the time of this photograph. I am very excited to see the photo but can’t identify him from the website. Is there any way I can get a copy with better definition? I am researching the records and I know he was in the crew for the ops on 2 March 1945 to Cologne Lancaster T (NG449) and 6 March Salzbergen also in NG449. My email is email@example.com
Hi. I am reading a book ‘Luck and a Lancaster’ and the author Yates was on 75 Sqdn. at about the same time tthat my friends father ( Les Hofert ) was a flight engineer. I came across this post. Next time I go to Thirsk I will have to show this to his son Malcolm. Les died about 5 years ago and had lived his life after the war in Newcastle upon Tyne.
Thanks for contacting me and please pass on the blog address to Malcolm, I’m sure the blog regulars would love to see anything he might be able to share about Les – I was actually in contact with Paul, grandson of Les a while back and he was able to identify Les in the big Squadron picture which is the header image of the blog
What a great site…doing a bit of family research on my great uncle Peter, who survived the war but passed away soon afterwards…he is # 61 (F/S Norman Alec Peter Dixon, RNZAF NZ4215733 – Mid Upper Gunner) in this picture and I am confident that Bill “Tubby” Evenden (F/S William Evenden , RAFVR 1337365/ 196039 – Pilot) is # 51. From the autographs and his notes on the rear of his copy of this picture the rest of the Evenden crew are also present and flanking Uncle Peter ie Sgt. T. Lane, RAFVR – Air Bomber, F/S Albert Neville Staples, RNZAF NZ427338 – Navigator,Sgt. H. Morgan, RAFVR – Flight Engineer,Sgt. W. Goddin, RAFVR – Wireless Operator, Sgt. Roland Spencer Williams, RNZAF NZ4215269 – Rear Gunner…any further info greatly appreciated !